As an IT executive or decision maker, you have probably either made the decision to move your application workloads to the cloud or moving to the cloud is under consideration as part of your IT strategy. For many organizations, moving to the cloud is no longer optional, rather it is requirement to stay competitive. By subscribing to cloud services, businesses with limited resources, can dial up or dial down their software usage, storage, and data access. By using cloud services, businesses only pay for what is consumed without having to maintain or invest in costly infrastructure.
While many organizations have implemented cloud services, the results are not always successful. The key to successful migration to the cloud is having a business case, requirements, migration plan and an execution strategy in place.
Companies that have succeeded in cloud implementations have done the following:
- Lay out a high-level business case
- Define enterprise requirements
- Create an implementation a plan
- Define a data and cloud migration strategy
What makes a data migration strategy so important?
Data that is migrated to the cloud can be in multiple formats and serve multiple business purposes. One thing is certain; not understanding your data will have a negative impact on your migration. Not have a migration plan could lead to inaccurate data, high cloud costs and a disruption to your business. Having a successful data migration strategy and taking the time to plan will mitigate implementation challenges and control costs.
Does your cloud strategy also address the following questions? And what about stakeholders?
- Why migrate to the cloud?
- What benefits will be derived from a cloud migration?
- How will you measure the success of migrating to a cloud infrastructure?
In answering the questions above, it’s also important to have stakeholder buy-in. This means keeping everyone in the loop, explaining the project’s benefits and checking for understanding.
What are the key elements of a solid cloud migration strategy?
- A project manager to manage the entire migration process
- Clearly defined project milestones
- Detailed lists of different applications/data to migrate
- Resources that will handle all relevant tasks
- Clearly defined roles of all people participating in the migration process
- Communication strategy for keeping everyone informed about the project’s progress
Choosing the perfect partner
When you’re migrating data to the cloud, it’s crucial that you have a plan to be successful. Devising a robust cloud migration strategy can be difficult and complex for organizations. Adopting a one size fits all approach, doesn’t work for complex data migration projects because these types of implementations are not plug and play. Having a partner with the expertise in cloud solutions is the best way to ensure that it will be successfully designed and implemented.
With over 20 years of experience, Prime Technology Group is the perfect partner to help with your cloud migration strategy. We can help you achieve the following:
- Enable cloud solutions that make your business’s IT base simpler, faster, and less expensive.
- Help organizations to leverage flexible, scalable, cost-effective and secure Cloud solutions such as AWS, Azure and more.
- Scale to meet the enterprise workload demands as you grow.
For more information on how to engage with Prime, contact us.